Self-Assessment Return Documentation

What documentation do you need?

what documentation do you need to submit your self-assessment tax return?Filling in the tax return forms might be straightforward. Having the right information is the challenge.

The deadline for online submission of your self assessment returns is coming up fast.  If you haven’t completed your return (and there are some clear benefits for submitting your tax return early) then remember that while filling in the form is usually simple, you need to have lots of information to hand to get it right.

Why not check the following list to make sure you have the relevant documentation or records available before you start.

Employee Returns:


  • P60, P45 and P11D from your employer
  • Pension records (state and private)
  • State benefits such as sick pay and maternity pay
  • Interest payments from bank and building society accounts
  • Dividends and annuities
  • Maintenance
  • Capital gains
  • Asset disposal
  • Property income
  • Foreign income
  • Capital gains


  • Employment expenses
  • Pension contributions
  • Employee share schemes
  • Student loans

Sole traders will need to pull together:

  • Invoices
  • Mileage logs
  • Expenses receipts
  • Bank statements showing transactions, charges and interest
  • Transaction details
  • VAT returns
  • Payroll

If your tax affairs are a little more complicated than the norm then Lewis Smith & Co. offers a complete tax return service to make sure you pay no more than required.

For more details contact us today.  Call 01384 235549 or email


Lewis Smith & Co. – Accountants for businesses in Wombourne, Wall Heath and Himley


Image source: Flickr courtesy of Dave Crosby